Southampton’s city centre continues to undergo significant and ambitious transformation. The City Centre Master Plan that illustrates potential developments and urban design concepts and guidelines was launched in 2012. It gives businesses and investors the confidence that Southampton’s ambition is matched by a clear vision and ability to deliver.
The ‘Very Important Projects’ (VIPs) identified for redevelopment are now becoming part of Southampton’s new landscape and contributing to the creation of a vibrant and energetic city centre. Since the launch of the Master Plan significant progress is being made on all of the VIP projects.
- Southampton’s new dining and leisure destination WestQuay opened over the weekend of 10 and 11 December 2016. The remaining restaurants and Hollywood Bowl opened throughout December 2016 and Showcase Cinema de Lux on 10 February 2017
- Studio 144, located in Southampton’s Cultural Quarter will open February 2018. The seven new restaurants and bars are now trading
- Phases 1 and 2 of public realm improvements at Station Quarter have been completed
- New homes are being built at BOW Square providing 280 apartments for the private rented sector
- Southampton Solent University’s first phase of its transformation of the East Park Terrace campus, The Spark, opened in September 2016. Construction is now underway on phase 2 which will provide state of the art sports buildings and teaching facilities
- Royal Pier Waterfront moves a step closer with the granting of planning permission for the relocation of the Red Funnel Ferry Terminal
- Residential development at Meridian Waterside, part of Itchen Riverside VIP, is underway providing 350 new homes. More than 80% of homes have been sold in the first phase and phase 2 was launched on 3 June 2017.
- Planning approval has been given to Chapel Riverside, part of Itchen Riverside VIP, providing a mixed-used destination with 457 residential properties, marine based employment space and improved public access to the waterfront. Construction began autumn 2017